Wednesday, May 15, 2013

You Want to Learn What?


This has been the question posed to me repeatedly while working as a technical writer, trainer, and course developer. Since graduating from college, where I learned C, C++, COBOL, and Visual Basic, software development has changed just a little bit. While I might be long out of full time college courses, I want to continue learning so that I can continue to be an asset to any company. 

I have asked for training in Flash and various programming languages and all requests have been rejected because the company-specific value-add is not apparent. Oddly enough, when an obvious need for software training has come up (client requirement) I have also never received any formal training. The approach has always been "This is what we are using - figure it out"…good thing I am a quick learner and can read a manual.

For an idea of why I think training for technical writers is required, here is a portion from the qualifications section of an active job posting for a Technical Writer:
  • Minimum of 2 years experience documenting some of the following: application end-user guides, system administration guides, API guides or comparable content.
  • Advanced Microsoft Office skills, especially Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook. SharePoint experience a plus. 
  • Demonstrated ability to write and publish documents using FrameMaker and Adobe Acrobat Professional, screen capture software; Madcap Flare experience a plus.
  • Experience documenting Java, Web Services (SOAP/REST) APIs, comfortable working with code snippets and design/functional specifications a plus

While I know lots of people do not receive company-paid training, for an occupation that requires a base knowledge of technical topics as well as various documentation tools....am I the only person at a loss here?

Back to learning Python I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment