Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dream a Little Dream

We moved to the US in August 2012. I was very excited for the move because it meant for the first time in years, I was going to be able to pursue a new job in a large area with lots of job opportunities. Since moving down here, I've been trying hard to better work-define me. I know the type of company I want to work for and there are only a handful of canned job descriptions that I submit my resume to.

While my job history does not show an escalation in responsibility, I have worked various jobs that are all connected by my ability to do technical training - whether it be for coworkers or clients. 

My last Canada-based job had me doing lots of things, which I loved. I did product research as well as content and lab development. I was also in a leadership role - a role that had me reviewing the work of junior resources and content from subject matter experts (SMEs), as well as project leading internal and client resources. Unfortunately, there was no room for job advancement and I want to move up.

After a few weeks away from this job I have realized that I miss project leadership. I've applied to senior, lead, and management positions since moving here and been called out by the hiring people for applying to the positions. They read my resume and don't see a previous job title with the similar "senior" or "manager" titles and are not convinced I can lead a group of people. I explain how I have lead various projects (sometimes as many as 12 at one time) while also managing the associated resources and keeping projects on time and budget. I even have a lovely reference letter from a previous client that supports me in a leadership role, which I provide when applying to these roles.

I KNOW I can do these jobs - if I didn't, I wouldn't have applied. 

This morning, Ms. Snipe, who happens to be my most favorite person to follow on Twitter, put out this tweet:



She got me thinking about my work luck. I don't think I have been unlucky with work. I have worked for a variety of companies - different service offerings, different organizational structures, and very different head counts. I have seen and experienced a lot and I have no regrets.

Where I am stuck now is that with almost 20 years experience in tech and training, the last 6+ as a leader, is what can I do to further prove myself as a group leader to get that manager role? 

While I am not overly aggressive, I am very confident in myself and my abilities. I would love any advice - seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment